Saturday, March 13, 2010

How Many Hats do You Wear?

I was just wondering. How many hats do you wear? No, we are not talking about literal hats here, but the roles and functions people carry out in relation to one another. (Yeah, those types of hats).

Here is a list of all the various hats that I wear at work in addition to Employer/Employee.

  • Youth Leader
  • Neighbor
  • Roommate
  • Friend
  • Publication Design Editor
  • Mentor
  • Tutor
  • Sunday School Teacher
  • Bible Study Leader
  • Advocacy Leader
Completely random list- but that is what happens when you hire 22 employees from your church. I wonder how many other professional Inner-City Missionaries/Design-Photographers/Political Advocates/Chick-Fil-A Managers there are in the world. 

It is surprisingly hard to say "I am a member of a church that believes in the value, dignity, and inherient value of all people as created beings in the image of God." and at the same time say "I am a member of an organization that believed all individuals should be treated with value, dignity, and respect." While these two things sound very similar (and infact the latter is based in the former) there is a slight distinction. It is hard to tell someone "I think that you are wonderful person created in the image of God and I seek to love and serve you in every way possible, but you have a poor work ethic and bad attitude and we are going to have to terminate your employment with our organization. 

Have I ever mentioned, I don't like hats?

No comments:

Post a Comment